Entry Into Australia
Do I require a Visa?
All visitors to Australia must have a valid visa before boarding their plane regardless of the length of stay.
Note: New Zealand and Norfolk Island passport holders do not usually need to lodge a visa application prior to their departure unless they have health and/or character concerns.
What should I do to help with the visa application process?
For the best possible chance of obtaining a visa to travel to Australia to attend an event, you should:
- Determine which visa you should apply for.
See: Find a visa
- Apply for your visa at least 6–8 weeks before your intended date of travel to Australia (or two weeks for online applications) as visa processing times may vary.
- Consider Australia's health and character requirements, which you will have to meet as part of the visa application process.
See: Fact Sheet 79 – The Character Requirement; Fact Sheet 22 – The Health Requirement
- If you are not from an eVisitor or ETA eligible country, ensure you obtain a confirmation of your registration, or a letter of invitation, to attach to your paper-based visa application.
- Lodge paper-based visa applications at the Australian visa office nearest to your current country of residence.
See: Immigration Offices Outside Australia
In accordance with Australia’s Privacy Act 1988, any information an event organiser or participant passes on to the Department’s IECN, will only be used to facilitate visa processing with the relevant Australian overseas visa office.